Bethel Reformed Presbyterian Church (Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America, or RPCNA) was founded in 1821 in Eden, just east of Sparta. In 1833, the denomination, and the congregation, split. Those who remained in the RPCNA, and in 1870, the moved to Sparta, erecting a new building at the corner of Vine and Osborn streets, which still stands. Those who left the RPCNA became part of several different denominations, and still exist as a PCA congregation.
Both congregations continued to use the name Bethel Reformed Presbyterian Church until 1974, when we merged with the Old Bethel Reformed Presbyterian Church in Houston, just west of Sparta, At that time the name was changed to Sparta Reformed Presbyterian Church. In 1994, that building was sold and a new building erected at 605 North Market Street where we remain today.
For more information on the history of our congregation: